Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year, new goals

Ah the annual New Year's Resolutions day....where people everywhere vow to accomplish goals throughout the year, typically intangible ones like "I resolve to eat healthier" or "I vow to work out more", these goals typically die out within a month or two of the turn of the year. Also why I like to stay away from gyms. Sitting at a church in Tri-Cities on Sunday, the pastor mentioned someone he knew who wanted to run 1,000 miles in 2013. My boyfriend and I are both avid runners so this is a 'resolution' I am going to borrow, however it's going to be more of a challenge. We've challenged each other to see who can run 1,000 miles in 2013 FIRST. Not quite sure what the prize is, but it's something that's easy to track, the competition will add a little motivation in the attempt to complete the goal. I am going to do a weekly update to show the progression of both of our results and how we're doing. Apart from this fun challenge, I'd like to continue my quest to run at least a half marathon in every state. Last year I hit Washington, Oregon and Illinois. I don't have any travel destinations planned at the moment, but living in the Pacific Northwest I know I can at least hit Idaho and Montana, perhaps venture down to California. These seem like good places to race this year, they are close by, therefore easy to travel to. Setting these tangible goals for the year, things like 'exercise more' and 'eat healthier' will come naturally. I challenge everyone to make some goals for the year that they can track and see the progression throughout the year, instead of goals that are set up for failure without the proper accountability.

No comments:

Post a Comment